I have always been a big fantasy fan, although Alice in Wonderland, somehow, managed to bore me. Hearing that some people compared Gregor’s story to Alice’s had me nervous, at first, but I am glad I decided to read [listen] for myself. This book was GREAT! As usual, I promise not to give away too much, but there are several points that may pique your interest in this story.
- Gregor’s dad mysteriously disappeared a little over 2 1/2 years ago.
- Gregor is stuck babysitting his baby sister, Boots, and watching his Grandma while his mom works and his (slightly younger) sister attends summer camp.
- Gregor gets stuck doing house work, too.
- Which is why Gregor is in the laundry room when Boots falls into the hole behind the grate in the wall…
- And falls into a land where there are talking cockroaches big enough to carry him, 6-foot-tall bats, and people with silvery hair and purple eyes who call Gregor and Boots “overlanders.”
After falling so far, Gregor isn’t sure how he and Boots will ever get back to the surface. All he knows is that his mom will surely be worried now that her husband and two of her children have suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth, and he has to find some way to make it back. Will the “underlanders” help Gregor and Boots return to the surface? Or will Gregor have to find his own way? And, how long will it take to get back up? Find out for yourself when you read [or listen to] this book!